College and University Overview
(MESA) Matched Education Savings Account
The Northwest Credit Union Foundation’s Matched Education Savings Account program is dedicated to bridging the gap between undergraduate costs and savings. MESA offers students a blend of financial education and matched savings. Eligible students may save up to $500 for a 3:1 return, or $1,500 in matched funds. Program participants will complete a financial education course and receive up to $2,000 in total education savings. Funds may be applied toward any education expense, including tuition, books, and class materials.
Participants who reside and are enrolled in Idaho, Oregon, or Washington are eligible to apply.
College or University
- Identify a staff member as a MESA point of contact
- Promote MESA to students, faculty, and community
- Establish regular communication between program partners (NWCUF, MCUCD, credit unions, and participants)
- Confirm applicant eligibility and forward to MCUCD for processing
Students Accepted into MESA
- NWCUF and MCUCD will review, process, and notify determination to the applicant, school, and credit union
- Accepted participant opens a restricted match savings account at a participating credit union (minimum $25 monthly deposit for six months)
- Participant will complete an online financial education program at least one month prior to match funds disbursement request
Qualified MESA withdrawal
- Student must satisfy all program requirements prior to matched funds disbursement
- Refer student to credit union to process his/her qualified disbursement
- Matched funds will be issued by check or transferred to the designated credit union
- Credit union issues funds by check to recipient college/university/bookstore
Additional MESA advocates may be identified in the following offices:
- Financial aid
- Scholarship / Financial education
- Student support / Success
- Admissions / Retention
- Military affairs
Department chairs, faculty, staff, work study students, and grant recipient students may help advocate for the program.
Marketing materials will be provided in print and digital form by MESA’s program director.